Indian Government Website
Flash Feed Scroll Reader

Apply for Passport

Published on June 28, 2011 by   ·   53 Comments

Apply for Passport

The Consular Passport and Visa (CPV) Division of the Ministry of External Affairs is responsible for the issuance of the Indian Passport to Indian Citizens. Passports are issued to Indian citizens from 30 locations across the country and 163 Indian missions abroad.

All information pertaining to the issuance of Passports can be availed from the Central website website that opens in a new window). All the Passport offices(External website that opens in a new window)located in India have an online Status Enquiry Service(External website that opens in a new window) , whereby one can check the status of a passport application by entering the File Reference Number available in the receipt. Applicants can also avail the facility to submit their grievances online, in case there are any.

How to Apply For a Passport

To apply for a fresh Passport, re-issue of Passports/ issue of Passports in lieu of lost & damaged Passports and for miscellaneous services, obtain the relevant Passport Application Form from any of the Passport Offices or the designated Speed Post centers or any of the designated outlets in your city. The Passport Application Form(External website that opens in a new window) can also be downloaded by clicking here.

Click here for the detailed eligibility rules and instructions for filling up the form.

The carefully filled up Application Form has to be submitted, along with proof of residence, proof of date of birth, personal particulars form (if applicable), ‘No Objection Certificate’ (in case of Government of Public Sector Employees), necessary affidavits and other supporting documents at any of following locations, under the jurisdiction of which the applicant is presently residing:

  1. Across the counter of the Passport office
  2. At the Speed Post centers
  3. District Passport Cells
  4. Passport Collection Centers

For further information and details, kindly visit the central website of the Passport Office.

Indian Passport for Newborn and Infants

While applying for the first time for the Indian Passport for New Born and Infants, the details of valid passports held by both or either parents should be furnished in the application form. For new born and infants the passport will be issued without any police verification. In the cases where the parents do not hold valid passports, applications for such infants can be made on the basis of three documents of out of following fourteen documents,

  • Electro Photo Identity Card
  • Service Identity Card issued by State/Central Government
  • SC/ST/OBC certificates
  • Freedom fighter Identity Cards
  • Arms Licenses
  • Property Documents such as Pattas, Registered deeds e.t.c
  • Ration Cards
  • Pension documents
  • Railway Identity Cards
  • Income Tax Identity Cards
  • Bank/Post office passbooks
  • Student Identity Cards
  • Driving licenses
  • Birth Certificates

In general, the passport validity for the new born and infants is given for 5 years only. In case of single parent and children born out of wedlock or in case of parents who are judicially separated, a sworn affidavit before a magistrate, stating the facts of the case along with proofs must be submitted. In normal case the signature/consent of both the parents is required for the issue of passport to Newborn and Infants. The physical appearance of the child may be required sometimes.

Passport Application Form
There are two ways to get a passport application form, one is to register online and take a print out of the application form and second is to directly get the application form from nearest passport office or speed post centers.

Guidelines to fill the application Form
As the passport application form is machine readable, there are some guidelines to fill in the application form.

  • Use Capital letters only.
  • Use black or blue ball pen only.
  • Leave on box after completing a word while filling in the boxes.
  • Write clearly in the boxes with out touching the boundaries.
  • Adjust the information to fit in the given number of boxes.
  • Do not write anything outside the box. Avoid over-writing.
  • Complete the applications in full.

Apply for Passport
If you have registered online then you will be given a appointment date and time, you need to submit the printed application form in the passport office at the given date and time. The passport application can be submitted at

  • The counter of the passport office
  • The speed post centers
  • District passport cells
  • Passport collection centers

An application for a passport may be submitted personally or through a representative carrying an authority letter.



Useful Online Services

Application forms Penalties
How to fill the form Vigilance
Fees structure Complaints&Suggestions
How to apply Check list
Where to apply FAQ
Tatkaal Scheme Right to information Act
Affidavits Passport Act / Rules
Online Registration Agent Login


Check Status of your Passport online:

Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India Application Status at Various Passport Offices:


Passports for Minors/Adopted Children


What are the documents required for applying for a passport for a minor?
  • Application (Form-I) along with Annexure-H (Declaration of Applicant Parent/Legal Guardian) signed by both parents.In cases where only parent of the minor applicant is present, a single parent affidavit in the requisite format, can be submitted, taking legal responsibility for the consequences of issue of a passport to the minor applicant.
  • Two copies of Birth Certificate / School Certificate / School Leaving Certificate / Bonafide Certificate, for proof of date of birth [Note: Birth Certificate is a must for those applicants born on or after 26.01.1989.]
  • Parents’ proof of address, if different from the address on their passport.
  • Passport copies of both parents. At least one of the parent’s passports should have the spouse name endorsed in it i.e mother’s passport should have husband’s name entered in her passport (OR) father’s passport should have wife’s name entered. [Note: If both the parents' passport do not have spouse name endorsed in it, first apply for inclusion of spouse name service and thereafter apply for a passport for a minor child.]
  • If parents already hold passports, or have applied for passports but have not yet received them, please furnish the relevant details (passport numbers or file numbers of the parents’ applications), in Column 16 of the application form.
  • If either of the parents is staying abroad, furnish a consent letter in the form of an affidavit attested by the Indian Mission concerned (format available on our website – please click here to download)
  • In case the parent is a divorcee, furnish certified copy of Court Order giving custody of the child.
  • In case parents are separated, single parent affidavit to be made. Format of the affidavit is available on our website.
  • The self declaration at Column 19 is to be signed by one of the parents ( or legal guardian, as applicable) as co-applicant with the minor.
  • No pre or post verification will be made in the case of applicants up to 15 years of age. However, in all such cases a declaration as given in Annexure-H in passport information booklet should be submitted in each and every case. Applicants above the age of 15 years are advised to apply for full-validity passports, with police verification.
  • In case both parents do not hold passports, any 3 of the 14 listed documents (please refer to the tatkaal section of our website for details) in respect of the parents, and the standard affidavit as per Annexure-I should be furnished. If this is not done, the file will be sent for police verification.
  • The fee applicable is Rs. 600/-. The approximate time taken for issue of a passport for minors is about 10-12 days, subject to there being no objections on their file, or their parent’(s) file.
  • ECNR status is automatic for all minor applicants up to the age of 18 years.
Passports for minor children above 15 years but below 18 years:
Children above the age of 15 yrs but below the age of 18 yrs have the option of getting a minor passport (valid up to the age of 18 years) or that of an adult (valid for 10 full years):
  • According to the option exercised, the fee will be Rs. 1000/- or Rs. 600/-. For a fee of Rs. 1000/-, passport validity will be 10 years and for Rs.600, the validity will be 5 years, or until the age of 18 yrs, whichever is earlier.
  • Personal particular forms in duplicate duly filled-in along with copies of documents, to be enclosed, for the purpose of police verification (for full-validity passports)
I want to apply for a passport for my child (minor), but my husband is currently abroad, so he won’t be able to present himself during this period. How do I proceed to apply?
You may advise your husband to approach the nearest Indian Mission to make an attested Declaration stating that he has no objection to making a passport application for the child. After getting the attested Declaration, you can submit the application form (Form-I) with a copy of the declaration.The photocopy of his passport should also be attested by the Indian Mission concerned, before it can be accepted by a Passport Office.
We are planning to apply for passports for our kids (minors). Is it necessary that my name should have been included in my wife’s passport?
Yes. At least one of the parents should have the other spouse’s name included in their passport. Please refer the miscellaneous services section of our website for details regarding this service.
Is it necessary that both parents should have passports before applying for passports for the children?
Not necessary. The advantage of parents having passports is that it exempts their minor children from the police verification process. According to the new guidelines published in December 2006, if both parents do not hold passports, any 3 of the 14 listed documents can be submitted in respect of the parents to establish their identity, along with the standard affidavit as per Annexure-I. (Please refer the tatkaal section of our website for details)
I have a one-month-old baby? Does the baby require a separate passport Or his/her name can be endorsed in one of the parents’ passports?
Endorsement of child’s name in parents’ passports is not allowed anymore. As per the amended law, minors should have separate passports.
I wish to apply for a passport for my minor child who is 12 months old. In the signature column, who needs to sign the form? Is it the child’s thumb impression, or is it the father’s signature?
Since your child is a minor now, the application needs to be countersigned by the parents, i.e. the declaration at column 19 of the application form. The thumb impression of your child has to be affixed in thumb impression column.
Do both parents of a minor child have to be present to submit the application, or is it okay if either one is present? Also does the baby have to be present?
It is okay if either of the parents submits the application of a minor child. Baby need not be present if application is not under out-of-turn/Tatkal scheme. The joint declaration is, however, required to be signed by both parents, except in the case of single parents, who should submit a “single parent affidavit”. In cases where custody of the child is to be ascertained, the passport issuing authority may require the child to be produced at the passport office.
In the case of a minor child’s passport, when the father is abroad, is consent to be obtained to apply for a passport? If so, what is the procedure?
Yes. Consent of the father is generally required for submitting the application. It should be in the form of a Sworn Affidavit duly attested by the Indian Embassy/Consulate abroad. (Also refer separate instructions for single parents)
I am a student staying away from my parents. Where do I apply for a passport and what proof of residence shall I have to furnish?
For instance, if you are a student staying in Rohtak (which falls under the jurisdiction of RPO, Chandigarh) and your parents are staying in Bangalore. You can apply at RPO, Chandigarh. For this purpose, along with your form, you have to provide four Personal Particulars forms. Please also indicate your hostel address/the place where you are staying in Rohtak as present address and your parent’s address as Permanent address.In case your college falls under the jurisdiction of some other Passport Office, you can either apply to the Passport Office in whose jurisdiction your hostel/place of stay is located or in the Passport Office in whose jurisdiction your parents’ address (permanent address) is located.

For proof of residence at your hostel/place of stay, either you should provide a letter from the Principal/Warden or proof of residence of the guardian with whom you are staying along with the guardianship affidavit. You should also provide proof of your parents address (i.e. permanent address).

Adopted Children
How do I apply for a passport for an adopted child?
All matters relating to adoption are dealt with by the Central Adoption Resource Agency (CARA) in the Ministry of Welfare, Govt. of India.
  • Inter-Country Adoption:

The prospective adoptive parents abroad (foreigners), who wish to adopt a child from India, have to approach the recognized (foreign) agencies of their country for adoption. The child for adoption may be taken from any of the child welfare agencies recognized by the Government of India.

Documents required in connection with issue of passport in inter-country adoption cases:

  • Application form (Form-1)duly filled-in
  • Certificate of Recognition of the local adoption agency by CARA
  • Certified Copy of the Court Order, with a copy of photograph of the child attested by the Court
  • No objection Certificate from CARA
  • Power of Attorney
  • Child Study Report
  • Copy of child surrender (relinquishing) document


  • Sworn affidavit for Date of Birth executed by the Orphanage
  • Legal Guardianship affidavit (As per format given in Annexure ‘G’ of the instructions attached to passport application form.)
  • Adoption of a child living with biological / natural parents by any Indian national living abroad / foreign national of Indian origin living abroad:
    • Adoptive parents’ passports copy
    • Legally valid adoption deed registered with the Registrar of Documents
    • Proof of stay of adoptive parents
    • Birth Certificate of the child

In case of adoptions by Muslims, Christians and Parsis, the adoption can be done under the provisions of the Guardians and Wards Act, 1890, with the following documents:

  • Court Order (with photograph of the child) for guardianship and for taking the child out of the country
  • Passport copy of adoptive parents
  • Guardianship affidavit
  • Proof of stay of adoptive parents
  • Birth Certificate of the child
  • Adoption of a child by Indian Hindus from a child welfare organization:
    • Court Order (with photograph of the child) permitting the child to be adopted by the parents
    • Legally valid and registered Adoption Deed
    • Parents’ passport copy
    • Birth Certificate of the child or copy of surrender document from the orphanage.


Related Websites



Incoming search terms:

  • passport admin@passportindia gov in
  • passport gov in ludhiana
  • www passporindia gov in
  • Www indiapassport com
  • www passport govt in
  • www passport com
  • online passport application form tirupati
  • www passporindia com
  • no objection certificate to issue passport karnataka govt rules
  • passporindia com

Tags:  , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Readers Comments (53)
  1. u have to make the new so doit correctly

  2. Dayanand says:

    apply for passport

  3. rita says:

    Respected Sir

    My File No is f014522 stiill delay in dispatch please do some favour

  4. Mohit Singh says:

    In which favour i should make demand draft and tell me the bank list name please.
    I belongs to U.P. but now i am studying in kerela.can i apply without going to U.P.
    I am a student, what will be the concession of fee and how many document i have to submit. can i apply from kerala.

  5. hello sir how can i create my login id

    • admin says:

      Hi DInesh,
      You need to create login id in Passport gov website not here.this is an information gateway for government websites, information and forms and documents.


    sir , i made my passport in tatkal scheme ref. no. T 037002 DATED 22-07-2011 and got the passport no. J 8633000 with wrong address written on passport by your department.Then i went to your office on 01-08-2011 for rectification with the promise to get it on 04-08-2011, but sorry to say till date i have not received with no fault of mine.

    • admin says:

      Hi Vinod,
      This website is just a convenient gateway for government related information neatly arranged for user convenience. for your query please lodge your complaints with the passport division or with RTI. but the links are given in the websites same page itself.

  7. vikas vohra says:

    sir i want to know about the documents that i have to attached with form.
    reply asap.
    vikas vohra

  8. Gopal prasd shahi says:

    Dear Sir, what documents are required for three month old baby and how long time need to get the passport, if his parents having passport.

  9. manikandan.e.s says:

    respected sir, am chennai near gummidipoondi place am a fresher to apply passport.may i know the procedure and what are documents required.which is the nearest place to apply for me. and i need passport quick.

  10. naman says:

    dear sir,what documents are required for one year six month old baby and how long time need to get passport,

    • admin says:

      Dear Naman,

      Fill the form at and submit the it at your nearest passport office. You will have to take the thumb impressions of the baby wherever signatures are required. You and your wife need to sign the Annexure H avaialable on the passport website (as mentioned above). Attach the birth certificate, your passport and your wife’s passport. These are the formalities to be done for normal passport which will take about 1-2 months.

      For tatkal you will have to provide some NOCs which you can find at the passport website.

    • vijay says:

      documents for 6 month baby
      1)- birht certificate
      (2 copy)
      2) father’s passport copy
      (2 copy 1 page and last page)
      3) mother’s passport copy
      (2 copy 1 page and last page)
      4) 2 address proof of mother and father
      (like ration card,elctricity bill,bank pass book)

  11. ashok kumari nair says:

    my passport was issued in 1997 for 20 years ie expiry 2017. this passport is not valid in most european countries. please advise how I can renew same, documents reqd and time for same


    dear sir,
    i applied of my passport on 5th aug,11 and i have completed my police verification in my residential address in DIMAPUR,NAGALAND.As i am going to bangkok on 10 september so i need to apply for my visa on 3rd. so please kindly issue me my passport number only in the online status FILE NO.- GUWA02555111 AND KEY NO.- 6502555111..I shall be very grateful to you…

  13. joshi hemendra says:

    dear sir,
    i am in now east africa,sir my passport full now and i want aplly for another (second) passport so sir give me the way how i will get another passport.regards.

    • bakc says:

      Hi Joshi,

      They won’t add additonal pages to your passport but will issue a new passport – which will be probably stapled with your old passport (especially if your old passport has any Visa stamped on it – its helpful when applying for a new Visa to anywhere).
      Things You’ll Need
      Old passport in original with self-attested photocopy of its first four and last four pages, including ECR/ECNR page.
      If the old passport was issued when you were a minor or did not have the ECNR stamp – provide attested copy of matriculation or degree certificate
      Proof of address if different than the one on the old passport. Acceptable documents include phone, gas, electricity bill, ration card, spouse or parent’s passport copy
      Recent passport size photographs (Three) in colour showing frontal view of full face are required.
      Re-issue vs. Renew
      A new passport is re-issued (not renewed) when a current passport (validity of 10 years or more) is 1 year from expiration or it is less than 3 years after it has expired. A passport issued with a validity of 1-5 years under certain emergency conditions can be renewed at no additional cost. This article covers the re-issuance of a Passport that was issued with 10 years or more of validity.
      The Application Form
      The Application Form for re-issuing a Passport is the same as the one required for a new Passport. You can get the Application Form from any Passport Service Center/Office or any Post Office. You can also use the link below.
      Fees Required
      The application fee for reissue of a passport is the same as a new application. Passport for Adult (36 page) – Rs. 1000, Passport for Adult (60 pages) – Rs. 1500 and Passport for a Minor – Rs. 600. It is better to take extra cash with you when submitting the application as there are additional fees for Police Clearance Certificate/ECNR Reqd, etc.
      Where to Apply
      Completed Passport Application Forms with Supporting documents can be submitted at Passport Offices, District Passport Cells/Collector’s Office/DSP’s Office or at Speed Post Centers. Please be sure to note down the File Reference Number.
      How to check status of Application
      You can check the status of your application online by providing the file reference number at the Consular and Passport Division Website


    I would like know regarding adoption of childrens seeking passport what they can do

  15. prabhjot says:

    sir i m having a problem actually i want to change my birthplace in was my what is d exact procedur,how much tim it will take,is there any other way to tak my passport early as possible?pls sir tell me abt the fees also?

    • bakc says:

      Change in Date of Birth/Place of Birth:
      Application for change in date of birth/place of birth is entertained only when it is accompanied by a court order issued by a judicial officer not below the rank of first class magistrate in India. (Process for the issue of a new passport booklet is to be followed)

  16. snehashish dhenki says:

    hw can i check my passport details online if i have the passport number…its urgent….as i have not physically recd the passport….and i hv to fill the date of expiration

  17. Shuyab Ahmed says:

    Dear Sir/Madam,

    As my passport is expiring Next year on March and also i have to make ECNR as i have my passport which is of 2002, next yr it will get expired, can i renew my passport this month only and what is the procedure, what will be the fees, will be there any kind of enquiry will be take place.

    Kindly suggest

  18. Shuyab Ahmed says:

    Dear Sir/Madam,

    And also suggest me how to take the online appointment.


  19. saikiran says:

    can v keep aadhar card as address proof for passport? kindly suggest…

  20. saikiran says:

    can v keep aadhar card as address proof for passport? kindly suggest urgently…

  21. G SAI NATHAN says:


    CELL 99434 11505


    sir my passport is submit on fifteen month plz wat status in my passport plz reply me

    • bakc says:

      Hi gururaj,

      This website is designed for user convenience for government and citizen related querry to provide all information related at ease. However please check your passport status on the link given on the page.

  23. rp dubey says:

    plz send in fever of D.D.? for new passport & address for application C.G.state?

  24. jarina says:

    sir plz tell me the procedire for online passport application. i filled the form and opt for pe-print form then another page came asking for web file no. hw do i get the that no. plz reply asap.

  25. ajay agarwalla says:

    my daughters new passport was sent by post, unfortunetly no body was not at home and the same was returned undelivered. what is the procedure to get my passport.

  26. b.k.manmohan singh says:

    In spite of all the advances we continu to suffer.My application F014614 hyd ap. even after poice varifciati on 15-6-2011 i receive information that i will receive in aweek’time.the week unfortunatly is never ending.Nos of representation have worked.

    • bakc says:

      Hi Manmohan,
      This website is designed for user convenience for government and citizen related querry to provide all information related at ease. However please check your application form status on the link given on the page.

  27. b.k.manmohan singh says:

    My application F014614 no,submited at hyderabad on 28-4-2011. even after police
    varification on15-6-2011 and number of representation simply says that i will
    it in aweeek time.the week never ends

  28. mukesh kumar says:

    sr plz tell me the procedure to apply passport give me the site

  29. muddasar khateen says:

    Hello sir/madam My sons passport status Name : Mohammed Izhaan khateeb . DOB: 05/03/2009 file number is BNO 101100025011 Ref no: OBJ /1004937511 Dated : 02/07/2011 I have sent parents attested photocopies 1 month back only . But still sir v have not received the passport. Plz see and do send as soon as possible sir . V will be very greatfull to you . Muddasar khateeb .

    • bakc says:

      Hi Muddasar,

      This website is designed for user convenience for government and citizen related querry to provide all information related at ease. However please check your Passport status on the link given on the page.

  30. deepankar says:

    hello sir iam 21 and i have class 10th n 12th certificates!!
    i live with my parents and i have got name in ration card and class 10th certificate as dob proof!!
    my mother is a govt employee and she has all the necessary documents except the passport..m applying for the tatkal passport..!!
    i have got the annexure ‘f’ and annexure ‘i’ but i am confused whether i will get d passport or not..
    many people told me tht annexure f will work and also i am a student so is dre ne chances??

  31. dr.samir kumar dey. says:


  32. dr.samir kumar dey. says:

    married woman’s change of title after to perform?

  33. dhirendra singh says:

    dear sir my passport is getting expiry on 30/06/2013,which has issueed from kolkata,right now i am woking in bombay last 1 year should i renew my passport in bombay rather than going back to kolkata

  34. Bidhan Chakma says:

    Sir,my permanent address falls within jurisdiction of Kolkata Regional passport office, whereas my present/communication address falls within jurisdiction of Guwahati Regional passport office. In the situation can i apply for my passport in Guwahati Regional Passport Office or need to apply in Kolkata Regional Passport Office.

Ad Space
Search Here
Move To
India Against Corruption